It doesn’t matter if you are rich or poor, there is a good chance that you would be happy to find some more affordable and efficient ways to keep the temperature in your home regulated. When it comes down to it, heating and cooling your home tends to be very expensive. This is especially the case in the summer when you are blasting the air conditioner or in the winter when you are blasting the heating system. If you want to save money and keep your carbon footprint to a minimum, you want to be sure that you find some smart ways to keep these costs down, or else you will be very uncomfortable in your own home. Here are five ways to save money on heating and cooling in your home.
- Update to a split system – if you use a strictly electric or a strictly fuel run heater or air conditioner, you may be spending too much on electricity or fuel. The truth of the matter is that you may need to find a split system that runs on both electricity and fuel. You can usually find one of these systems at National Air Warehouse – https://www.nationalairwarehouse.com/ – and they can even be quite reasonably priced.
- Seal your home – when it comes down to it, sealing your home is the number one way to make sure you aren’t wasting energy when your air conditioner or heater is on full blast. In order to find any leaks and complete a home energy audit, you will simply need to take your hands and move them down and around the windowsills and doorframes. If you feel any drafts or cold air, you can simply seal these leaks with caulking. If you let these leaks go on, they will become worse and more expensive to fix.
- Maximize the heat – if your heater or air conditioner is on, but you want the warm air or cold air to linger a little longer, you may want to turn your fan on backwards mode and let the system lift the air and spread it throughout your home. The farther you can spread the air, the more relief you will get from the extreme temperatures. Not all fans can be set in reverse, so you may want to read the owner manual before you try this method out.
- Open the windows at strategic times – if it is cold out, you want to open the windows during the day and if it is warm out, you want to leave the windows open at night. The key is to trap in the desired air. For instance, if it is a particularly brutal summer day, you want to leave the windows open at night and then close the windows in the morning.
- Replace your filters – if your filters are full of dirt and dander from pets, your air conditioning or your heating won’t come through as efficiently. Ideally, you want to clean or swap out your old filter every month. In the summer months, you may want to do this twice a month.