Decorating and designing a room can be very expensive. You have furniture, art, and linens to pay for, and although you don’t want to spend too much money, you also don’t want it to look too cheap. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways that you can fully furnish and decorate a room on a small budget – it’s just about getting creative. Here is how to decorate a guest bedroom on a budget.
- Pare it down to the bare essentials. When you really think about it, you don’t need much when you’re just staying somewhere for a couple of days. You really only need a bed, one side table, a lamp, and a chair or cabinet. Bedroom decorating for guests isn’t the same as it is for an actual tenant, because you don’t need to store a lot. Most people don’t bring much clothing, so they don’t need a full dresser. Just a cabinet, or even a chair to throw their things on should be sufficient.
- Find inexpensive furniture stores in your area. If you’re on a budget, then you want to try and find the best looking items at the best prices. That’s why you want to do a search online for the best inexpensive furniture stores in your area. For example, if you live in Memphis, you’ll probably be directed to Stash Home. No matter where you live, there should be an inexpensive furniture store near you.
- Buy items secondhand over the internet. One of the best ways to find great items at really low prices is by searching the internet. If you have a very specific item that you’re looking for, you can use websites, like Craigslist to find people in your area that are selling them. This is especially handy with vintage items. Be careful, however, that you don’t fall for any scams, and always take somebody with you to look at the item.
- Make your own art work. If you really want to save money on decorating your guest room, you can make your own art work for the room. If you’re not confident with your artistic skills, you can always find a friend to do it, or you can print artwork from the internet and find creative ways of framing it. You can even glue a poster on both sides to a canvas and then distress it a bit to make it look old and vintage.
- Get a cheap mattress. One of the most expensive items you’ll buy for your guest bedroom is a mattress. Of course, no one really wants to buy a used mattress, but there are all kinds of places that carry much cheaper mattresses. They may not be as good as the type you would want to be sleeping on every night, but if it’s just for a few nights, then your guests shouldn’t mind that it’s not the best.