Household bugs and pests can be a real nuisance. For instance, cockroaches are not only ugly – they can also take over your food pantry and eat your dry foodstuffs. When it comes down to it, you also want to remove bugs and insects for the sake of your health. These bugs and insects can cause infections with their bites and they can leave behind harmful bacteria and germs. There are also some insects that will threaten the structural soundness of your home. Termites, in certain numbers, can actually destroy full support beams and other wooden elements of your home. Termites feed on wood for moisture and nutrients. Fortunately, getting rid of household bugs and insects is easy – you just have to know where to look and you want to make sure you prevent the issue from happening in the future.
- Find out where they are coming from – this will help you find the source. Most bugs and pests are either looking for food or shelter, so that should narrow down your search. For instance, you may want to look inside your pantry for things like cockroaches and moths. You can also look in damp, dark areas for other bugs that may be causing structural damage to your home.
- Consult with a pest control company – a company like U-Spray, Inc. will be able to help you not only detect the pests, but also identify and find a solution to destroy them. When it comes down to it, different pests will require unique pest control methods. Some may require sprays, while others may require different dusts and powders. Usually, these dusts are safer for the environment, but also incredibly effective at destroying infestations of bugs and insects.
- Make sure to clean up your home – you don’t want there to be any scraps of food or other stuff on the ground or hiding in your home. These things are like magnets for bugs and insects. For instance, spiders like to hang around areas that are dirty, like the kitchen, because they know that flies will be buzzing around. Ideally, you want to clean your home on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. You should be vacuuming and mopping to get your home really clean.
- Seal off your home so that pests can’t come back – after you take measures to eradicate the pests, you want to effectively cut off their access. This may mean digging into your crawl space and closing off holes in your foundational wall. It may also mean patching up your attic walls. Whatever you do, you want to be sure that all access is completely cut off.
- Place your dry foodstuffs in glass containers – if you leave items in cardboard containers, pests are going to be able to get inside. For instance, you want to place pasta, cereal, flour and other items in glass containers with sealed tops. In the end, glass will create a barrier that bugs and insects won’t be able to get through.