If it’s been a while since you’ve done much home renovation, you may be walking around and noticing some things that are starting to look outdated. Even if it does feel like it wasn’t that long ago that you were replacing your countertops and pulling out your carpets, these days, it seems as though the tides are changing faster and faster. But just because everyone wants to jump on a new trendy bandwagon every 5-10 years doesn’t mean that you have to follow suit every single time. You do, however, need to try and jump on every other one if you have a homeowner’s association to contend with. If you’re interested in keeping up with the Joneses without breaking the bank, here are five easy cosmetic fixes to make around your house.
- Power wash the exterior. The outside of your house is definitely going to be the part that everyone sees the most, so it’s definitely the part that needs the most attention. Be sure to give your house a good power wash to get the dirt and detritus of the past few seasons off of your walls and windows. If you have any old screens that are torn up, you’re going to want to replace those immediately. You’d be surprised by what a huge difference a simple power wash and new screens can make.
- Fix up the yard. If you’ve got tons of weeds, dead bushes, or an unkempt lawn, you’re going to want to deal with that right away. Some people have a love for gardening and others don’t. If you’re not one of those people who doesn’t, then you should find a solution that works with the amount of effort you plan to realistically put into your yard. Find a few plants that grow natively in your area so that you don’t have to go through much effort to keep them alive. Get some wood chips and create a rock garden. A few rocks, a few native plants, some nice wood chips and maybe a statue are all you need to have a beautiful, low maintenance yard.
- Update your lighting fixtures. You’d be amazed by what a huge difference a change in lighting can make. You can find dozens of contemporary lighting fixtures at Nebraska’s Home Improvement Center to choose from. Once you’ve found a few that work with your current aesthetic, you can switch them out with your current lights for a touch of modern pizzazz to the old fort.
- Repaint a wall or two. These days you don’t need to paint your entire house one color, in fact, it can be very nice to have big pops of color here or there. If you choose just two walls to give some pop to, you will see the whole feeling in your house change dramatically. Plus, you don’t have to spend too much money on paint, or go through the painstaking process of moving all of your stuff from room to room.
- Change up the decor. You probably have some of the same family photos framed on the walls and the same little decorative tchotchkes lying around that have been there since you moved in. But aren’t there some other great family photos stored away in the old family photo albums? You could even think about painting some of those old photo frames and buying a few new matching decorations to put out. More than anything, though, you want to get rid of as much clutter as possible. Clearing the clutter is one of the best ways to really give your house a true refresh!