The weekend is the perfect time to catch up on housework. You could clean the house, you could organize and you can do a little rearranging. You could even go a step further and update your kitchen. Indeed, every few years, technology changes, fads change and new trends pop up. When it comes to your kitchen, the back splash may be outdated, your appliances may look old fashioned and the floor may need an upgrade. If this is the case, you may want to think about spending the weekend remodeling or redoing your kitchen. The truth of the matter is that you don’t need to hire a contractor or a crew – you can actually complete many of these jobs on your own. Of course, you’ll need a little tenacity and resourcefulness, but over the course of two days, your kitchen could look brand new by Monday. Here are five easy DIY weekend kitchen updates.
- Update your appliances – if you have old, outdated appliances, updating them will not only offer an aesthetic boost, it will also ensure that you have new, working appliances. When it comes down to it, your old appliances may be breaking down or showing signs of age. If you have a warranty, you may want to take advantage of the warranty, because purchasing new appliances can get pricey.
- Upgrade or refinish your cabinets – if you have old wood cabinets, you may want to plane them down and either paint them white or give them another fun color that transforms the kitchen. There is also the option of taking the cabinets off completely for a more open look.
- Retile the floors – many people think that retiling is difficult, but the truth of the matter is that it is a lot easier than you think. If you don’t want to go for real tile, you could go for adhesive linoleum, which can be easier to cut and lay. With tile, you have to think about cutting and grouting, which can be intimidating to some people. Whatever the case is, adding new tile floors can completely transform a kitchen and it can easily be done in a weekend.
- Add a new backsplash – adding a new backsplash can instantly transform a kitchen. If you aren’t sure how to install a backsplash, you may want to contact a company like Kitchen & Bath Factory to help. If you are inexperienced, you may cause damage to your kitchen and waste money if you try to do things yourself. However, if you are experienced, this job is relatively easy and it won’t take that much time.
- Paint the walls – when it comes down to it, adding a new coat of paint to the walls can make your kitchen appear brighter and roomier. This is especially the case if you add a lighter color. Over time, the cooking greases in your kitchen can start to cause stains and other unsightly marks on your kitchen walls. In the end, a simple coat of paint will freshen everything up.