You don’t need to be an expert to have the best Christmas decorations on the block. Indeed, this can be your first year decorating your home for Christmas and you can still impress your friends and your neighbors. What you have to remember is that creativity and resourcefulness is key, but so is having a plan. If you don’t have a plan of action, your outdoor lighting, wreaths and displays will look amateurish and silly. The truth of the matter is that you want to include a number of layers to the decoration – you want things to look artful, but also organized. Here are some outdoor Christmas decoration ideas for newbies.
- Create a plan of action before you start – you can create your plan with a simple piece of paper and a pencil, or pen. Ideally, you want to draw a full picture of your home. It doesn’t matter if you can’t draw – you just want to have some representation. With that representation, you can start filling in where you want to place your decorations.
- Source your materials – for instance, you will need a source for lights, you will need a source for wreathes, and you may also want to have some visual displays. When it comes to lights, you may want to go to a source like WowLights Productions. For wreathes, you may want to research a well-reviewed Christmas tree supplier that can offer some materials. When it comes to visual displays, you can utilize your own talents, or find a local sign painter.
- Take safety very seriously – if you have an old rickety ladder, you are going to want to replace it. Indeed, part of the decorating process can be very dangerous. You often have to worry about falls. This is especially the case when you are laying displays, like lights and faux snow on the roof. Ideally, you want to wear protective gear and you want to make sure your ladder is in good condition.
- Start with your lights and then work your way to other displays – you may also want to dress your wreathes with lights before you hang them. You want to place your lights first – before your displays or other decorations – because it will help keep the lights firmly in place. If you place your lights over other decorations, it could create a big problem. Not only will you experience lights going out – you will also have dropping light strings and more.
- Devise a budget – you can easily start to spend a lot of money if you aren’t careful. On top of everything, you want to have an itemized list for how much you are willing to spend. If you don’t have a budget, you will certainly start to spend too much money. If you don’t have the money to spend, you could get in trouble if you go overboard. With a set budget in place, you will feel a lot more comfortable purchasing certain decorations. In the end, you don’t have to spend a lot of money to have a beautifully decorated home.