A weathered wooden property fence is not only an eyesore, it can also be dangerous. Indeed, if your fence is looking a little worse for wear, it may be on the verge of breaking and falling apart. If your fence is tall and made of thick wood, it can cause an injury. Moreover, your fence can fall and damage either your home or a vehicle. When it comes down to it, a weathered fence can easily break and fall on your family pet. If you live near a busy street, the last thing you want is for your dog to run into traffic. Here is how to fix a weathered wooden fence.
- Your first step is to assess the damage – if the damage is particularly bad, you may need to completely strip and reassemble your fence. In order to assess the damage, you want to walk around the perimeter of the fence – you also want to lightly nudge the fence with your leg to judge how stable the wood is.
- After you assess the damage, you want to get the materials you need to work on your fence. After you find the areas that need to be repaired, you want to head to your local home improvement shop to purchase things like saws, sand paper, hammers, and other tools. It will be important to have a full set of tools to complete the job at hand.
- It will also be important to purchase new hardware – latches, bolts and metal fence seams will help reinforce your fence. When you are shopping for materials, you may want to purchase things like latches and bolts. There is a good chance that if your fence is weathered – the hardware is rusty and weathered too. These extra items will help make your fence look like new again. You could even get creative and go with hardware with a different patina or type of metal. The truth of the matter is that you can get as creative as you want.
- Purchase lumber with the same size and width as the other fence posts – you don’t want to have to cut things on your own. Cutting things on your own can make the whole process a lot more time consuming. Ideally, you want to purchase lumber that will fit in with the size of your fence. If you can’t find the same size, you may want to have the lumber yard cut the wood for you – some lumber yards will be glad to cut the wood you purchase into your desired size and shape.
- Make sure to replace large portions of your fence that have been completely destroyed. On top of everything, you may want to find a fence company – like the Ram Fence Company – to replace sections of your fence. The truth of the matter is that parts of your fence may be unfixable and will need to be completely replaced. It will be important to simply bite the bullet and invest in a new fence.